Tips and advice:
- If you text, keep the message very simple and short and polite.
- Consider writing down a couple of points you wish to bring up during your phone call (e.g. NZ faces a major dementia challenge. We don’t have a plan to deal with it. Government needs to step up and get a response plan in place now). This will help you stay focused on your message.
- Use strong facts about dementia to support your argument – find them here
- Unfortunately, the show may not always be able to take your call. If this is the case, consider trying again another day.
- Try to call when the presenter is taking calls about a topic related to dementia, such as health, ageing, retirement villages/living, aged care, respite care etc.
- Radio programmes regularly interview politicians, so you may have the opportunity to discuss dementia with a candidate live on-air.